Monday, January 8, 2007

Bus Ride Back


Bus Ride Back, originally uploaded by Robbi Baba.

Oh man, that bus was packed. I didn't really have a seat, only half a seat. So half my butt was in the air. I ended up pretty much crouching on the balls of my feet in the aisle and trying hard not to accidentally offend the very polite Thai people all around me.

We were the only farang on the bus.

Physically taxing, it was at least a very interesting ride. We saw elephants working a logging operation and roaming about a preserve and all sort of weird vehicles and trucks piled high with outlandish loads.

A much different experience than the air con mini van that had whisked us up to the Nest.

The young ticket taker/porter spent the whole time standing in the open door, mostly leaning out. At one point my sunglasses fell on the floor and began sliding right out of the bus. He swooped down and snatched them up and handed them back to me so gracefully I was amazed.

No comments: